Pages

retro versus new music

17 may 2011


People is confused, including myself, when more than once, we judged an artist because of "lack of new ideas" while insisting on use sounds from past decades, specially arguing that old times were better.


In the other hand, also said many times I do not like some new band, because I just find their sound meaningless, maybe ridiculous, or sometimes just lack of feeling.

What is good enough then? I think many of people made both critics once in a while. i personally think, as time goes by, it wont be easier and eventually possible to create new sounds, genres or styles, and I don't blame it on the artists, even less, the possible lack of creativity. I think it is a natural flow of things: it will become a time when so may music will be created that, it wont be possible to come up with something new, maybe not this year, maybe not next decade, maybe not in our life, but I am convinced it will totally happen.

For a side, this statement makes me sad, it will mean that copyrights will be a nightmare, and even today sometimes influence and copycat is a debate, in some years after it wont be possible to make a difference from each other. I also will mean that all music will flow in circles, just recycling old fashioned genres & styles or even making weird fusions in the desperate to find a new sound.

Today we have a lot of genres, artists, instruments and resources to create, but unless we as human beings are able to recognize more than 7 notes and 12 tones in the music scale, it wont be any change. It is pretty obvious those combinations are limited. Yes, doing the math it means the combinations possibilities are huge, but again: not all the 12 notes in the scale are meant to be with each other in the same song, unless you do a radical change of melody.

Also, instruments are being the same again and again: drums, guitar, keyboards, bass. It is true that computers also bring lot of new resources and sounds, but I honestly think it will eventually have the same problem as pop - rock, even when genres can be different, such as black metal and hair metal, the new artists of each genre sounds almost the same in many cases. As well it happens with electronic genres: how many copycats of Infected Mushroom, trentemoller, etc. have you heard today?

I ended realizing that I don't have to worry about it, first of all: I wont be there when it happens totally, (because it is starting to happen now!) second: in the desperate for create new things, artist do not have to fall in the mistake of going extreme ridiculous, just for the fact to create a new thing. Third: there is a wish inside all artists to express and enjoy their work, this is how they live and how they like to be, and I think they can't stop just for the fact that everything is already created, or it will all created eventually.

Are you stuck in 80's new wave, pop, hair metal? I probably will first feel sorry for you. And I apologize for my disrespect and intolerance, when it come to my head the idea: damn! this guy will ever accept those times are gone? get over it, try something new!

But once again: if you are a hipster teenager and you think you just discovered the new big thing, probably you actually didn't! or if you did, I could tell: new also has to be nice, not JUST new, again sorry for my hard judgement. But for both of situations & persons, all I have to say is: listen, and enjoy, music is not a contest to see who created it first or who influenced who, a different thing is that it's good to know about past artists, and a different thing is to believe that music is dead after Led Zeppelin, Kraftwerk, etc.

0 comments:

Publicar un comentario

 
In my particular vision © 2011 | Designed by Bingo Cash, in collaboration with Premium Wordpress Themes | Photography Wordpress Theme